Friday, December 22, 2006

One extra special part of the wedding ceremony itself is where it was held. Some of the pre-wedding parties were in Bombay, but the actual ceremony and reception were held in Matheran, a hill station about an hour outside of the city. Not only was Matheran beautiful, but most amazingly no cars are allowed there. The break from the horns and street chaos of Indian cities was amazing. The bride's family rented cars to take us to the parking lot at the base of the hill station. From there you can walk, ride horseback or take a rickshaw up to the actual town and hotels at the top.

I rode horseback up - an easily slow ride. This was especially exciting because I haven't ridden a horse for two years, as there are very very few in Thailand. On the ride up I learned that horses could be rented for more exciting rides to viewpoints around the town.

So, the next day after the wedding ceremony and before the reception that evening, I decided to take a horse-back ride. Eric, another wedding guest, and I took the scenic trail together with a guide. The sites were indeed breathtaking.

Here are a couple of pictures from our ride:



Emily at the first lookout point
From the other side of the viewpoint
on the trail with Eric (taken by the guide on horseback)


from another viewpoint
It was great to ride again, though probably not the safest thing I've ever done. The saddles were a bit flimsy and not secured very well. The stirrups were narrow and not very supportive. Actually, my horse stumbled twice. The first time I was thrown sideways and nearly off, as the saddle turned about 90 degrees. However I held on and managed to righten myself despite the trotting pace of the horse, who generally refused to listen or respond to anyone but the guide.
The guide's response, "Wow. You have good balance!" HA!
The second time the horse tripped he regained his step quickly and I thought the worst was over until a dog ran out barking at us, which spooked the horse and sent us flying at a pace which I imagine was similar to that of Paul Revere. "The British are coming! The British are coming!" I was scared and trying to reign him in with all my might. The looks of horror on the villagers faces as we passed did little to calm my fears. However, everyone ended up alive and soon there after the ride was over. Ah, adventure is rather unavoidable.
I'm still glad I went on the ride.

No comments: