Friday, December 08, 2006

India day 1- Delhi

Last night I slept in my sweater and socks! It's cold here - actually cold. I had a scarf wrapped around my head all day and it was wondeful! I am so glad I brought my sweater/jacket with me. Kristina thought it would be warmer than it is and is regretting her wardrobe. Lucky for us, there are tons of beautiful shawls and pashminas to buy on every corner!

We decided to take a group tour today because we have a very short time in the city and wanted to see as much as possible. This morning we headed over to the train station to try and find the Delhi tourism train station office mentioned in our guide book. The crowded streets of last night were pretty empty at 8:30am when we started our day. After dodging several scam artists

"Follow me to buy tickets...." (we were warned about them in our books)

We found our way to the actual tour and spent the day on and off the bus seeing sites around the city. Our tour guide was loud, in-your-face and always rushing.

"Now we are SO MUCH late. Hurry. Hurry!"

But I've learned that I've come to appreciate these qualities in the last 2 years.

Here are a few pictures from my time in India so far... more to come.


Looking down on Main Bazar road from our rooftop restaurant last night
a shop keeper who let me take his picture



some children asking for "ONE RUPEE PLEASE MADAME" outside the bus window

Qutub Minar - Afghan architecture, twelfth century

No comments: