Monday, September 03, 2007

Classes Start Tomorrow!!!

I'm all settled in to New Haven now and I promise to upload some pictures just as soon as every last box is out of my bedroom and I put up the wall hangings. Unfortunately, that is yet the case on this eve of the beginning of my journey into nursing.

Orientation week was great - the group of students in my Pre-speciality RN/MSN program is truly remarkable. We come from something like 35 states and have studied in over 180 different institutions of higher learning. That's even more remarkable seeing as there are only around 100 of us (maybe up to 120). The group includes lawyers, teachers, Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (five of us), social workers and a pipe organ builder (who helped build the largest pipe organ in the world!) Degrees held in the group vary from theatre to public policy to English to various sciences to public health to education to...to....to... It is an interesting and diverse group of people.

So, we were bombarded with information during orientation and given the tools to get us started on this incredible journey. I am sitting in my room, after this beautiful labor day weekend, reading over the notes for tomorrow's lecture. We do get one introductory day before jumping off the Olympic high dive. In two weeks we will be actively in the hospitals, 2 shifts a week, under the observation and guidance of preceptors in the medical-surgical units. I can't wait. And I'm scared to death.

I must return to my note reading, but I did want to leave you with this cute cartoon that one of our professors sent us via e-mail. I think it accurately describes our state at the moment. But, not for long....

1 comment:

Katy P said...

Sounds like you have a great group to be learning with! Also sounds like you'll be so busy you'll hardly have time to update the blog. Know that your public awaits patiently.