Wednesday, September 19, 2007

First step - look the role

The true journey to nurse-hood has officially begun. True, it technically started several weeks ago when I moved to New Haven and started classes, orientation even. But, yesterday was my first day in the hospital. I donned my scrubs, lab coat, fake crocs, ID badge and stethoscope and headed out of the house to be there for the 7am shift. True, we didn't do much "hands-on" work yesterday - it was just orientation. But, it was interesting and exciting to enter a hospital for the first time with a tiny ounce of clinical knowledge.

I'll be working on the cardiac floor - mostly with post-op patients. I am particularly excited about this assignment because I had a two week "orientation" to the cardiac floor in Houston a few months ago when my dad underwent bypass surgery. I am excited and interested to see this now from the other side. So much to learn!

In my scrubs...

and lab coat!

Today I have the 7-1 shift again and will actually start working with the patients. We have been officially learned to check vital signs: temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate and blood pressure. We've also learned how to change a bed (with hospital corners) and give a bed bath for those patients too weak or too sick to get out of bed. It's in my head...now I just need to transfer it to my hands. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Sharmaine said...

I'm so impressed, Meredith Grey, Jr.!! :) No, seriously, I really am very impressed. I know this is something I could never do. Go, you!