Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Day on the Great Wall of China

After accidentally reformatting my camera during the car ride home from the Great Wall of China and panicking because that action deleted all 500 pictures on my camera - from Cambodia and China, including all those I'd just taken on the wall, I didn't think I would be able to write this blog today. Fortunately, the Chinese man at the camera shop was far more savvy than I when it came to technology and he was able to recover all of my pictures! I have no idea how. I didn't ask questions - just had him burn them all onto a CD for safe keeping. So, now it is with a gleeful heart that I blog today, with pictures, about my trip to the Great Wall of China.

Natalie and I set out from our hostel at 6:50am to head for the Great Wall. Our van picked up several other people around Beijing before heading into the countryside. After about 3 hours of driving, we could see the wall weaving around atop the mountains. The moment of my first glimpse was an invigorating one, especially after having been in the van for more than three hours.

Soon we were at the gates of the park. As we piled out, each pair in the van discovered that he/she/they had paid a different amount for their tickets. We came out with the best deal because, though we'd paid more than everyone else, it included tickets onto both sections of the wall that we were going to hike that day. I would venture to say that the couple that had it the worst were the two women from the UK who had asked for a tour withOUT hiking. Ours was a 10km hike - we were dropped off at point A and picked up at point B. But, we all figured it out and had a good time after the initial confusion.

I would venture to say that most people who have never been to the Great Wall (or those who've been to the heavily touristed part that is beautifully renovated) think that a stroll along the crest of the wall is somewhat like a walk in the park - with an incredible view. Alas, my friends, we have been deceived! This ten kilometer hike was nothing if not a challenge and most definitely no stroll, some parts nearly crumbling under our feet!


We chose the less renovated section of the wall in order to avoid the commercialization and multitudinous gaggles of tourists. There were some ethnic Mongolians selling t-shirts, books and post cards. They were often quite annoying and walked beside you for a while - sometimes talking, sometimes not, but always hoping you would buy. We ignored most of them. But, one lady was very sweet and taught us some Chinese as we sat to have a snack. We talked to her for a long time and eventually bought a couple of things (for ridiculous prices, but it was to give her money more than to buy souvenirs...though my "I climbed the Great Wall" shirt is really cool!)




With the Mongolian lady from whom we bought souvenirs


When we chose the less touristy part of the wall, we did not realise that on parts we would have to scramble- both hands and feet shuffling carefully over surfaces eroded by weather and war. Some parts were incredibly steep - both up hill and down and left both of us huffing and puffing at some point. Natalie's knees started bothering her and our elevation above sea level was evident as we sucked as much air as possible into our lungs. But, despite it all - it was a wonderful experience and we are proud to have completed it!


Because I am so happy to have recovered my pictures, I'm going to post quite a few here. I'm sure they do not do justice to the majesty of this cultural and architectural phenomenon. Enjoy!



the beginning of the journey

A panoramic view








some parts renovated





Others, not so much!


You can do it Natalie!



taking a break in one of the towers



a few of the more challenging moments





you mean we have to go UP that?!?




Doin' good!



What a wall!


a funny sign


THE END - We did it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.