Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls is one of the best known waterfalls in the world. All of my Thai friends had heard of the falls and would often mention them when we traveled to any waterfall in Thailand. I didn't think I had ever been to Niagara Falls - at least I didn't remember ever going, so I was super excited when I learned that I would be going with my family on the way to the summer family reunion in Canada. As it turns out, I had been once before - when I was about 6 months old, but I suppose that doesn't really count.



Actually, Niagara Falls is several different Falls in the Niagara River. "Horseshoe Falls" (where we went) is on the Ontario, Canada side and there are a couple more on the Buffalo, NY side as well. We were awed by the majesty of Niagara Falls and I am so glad to have had the opportunity to go.
Emily with Horseshoe falls in the background

As an extra adventure, we took the "Maid of the Mist" boat trip on the Niagara River. After donning our rain (mist) coats, we boarded the boat which took us right to the base of the falls. They are so high that a great cloud of mist is created by the falls hitting the river. Entering the cloud of mist was like being on another planet. Sight was limited and all I could hear was the tremendous roar of the falls - absolutely amazing!



approaching horseshoe falls



ready for the mist



in the mist
going back to dock with both falls behind us

2 comments:

KateMV said...

I love the maid of the mist! Sorry I haven't emailed you for a while. Teaching summer school is rough! I'll try to write soon.

Anonymous said...

check this out
sickvoice.blogspot.com