Friday, July 27, 2007

Visit to Atlanta

I just returned home from a two week trip to Atlanta. Let me tell you - I had no idea how much I liked that city until this trip back. The lush green trees, the hills, the culture and diversity - it was so refreshing to be there. Of course, the part of the city I knew very well how much I adored are my friends there. What a happy reunion after nearly a full three years away!

My plane arrived a couple hours late in the middle of the night and I caught a taxi to the Herold's house, where I was staying. I was tired and a little travel weary, but as I walked from the taxi to the house, all that vanished with a glimpse of my welcome home sign:


Happy and John made this sign for me and it was hanging on the porch as I walked up.
I had so much fun staying with the Herolds. It was as if I'd never left. Actually, I couldn't believe that John remembered me because he was 2 when I left and is now 5. They made sure to talk about me and show him pictures. I'm sure Happy wouldn't let him forget. It was so touching!
During the time I was there, the kids' focus was on circus camp - a summer camp they were attending. They were learning acrobatics, trapeze and Spanish web along with other circus tricks. They practiced them every where we went.


not too shabby for being 5 and 8! And, lucky for me, I was even there to watch one of the actual circus camp shows!!!


Happy and John made up and ready to perform


This one is hard to see, but if you look closely, you can see that it's Happy upside-down on the Spanish Web - hanging by one leg. Impressive!
Of course, the Herold's weren't the only friends I got to see while I was in Atlanta.

Susie, Maddie, Katy, Sydney and Emily
(a lot of "-ee"s)
Brings us back to KIPP:PATH


All in good time, my pretty. All in good time.
With Sydney and Maddie - what cuties!
With Victor at a posh Thai restaurant near Georgia Tech
Emily and Heather - Lookin' good!
a trip out to the Clarks' to see Brian and Heather
Roasters with Ben
a gourmet meal with Bernard
an afternoon visit with Nancy and Al
Michelle and I visit Melissa for lunch, after a visit to...
the Hindu temple of Atlanta
(which was an awesome cultural experience - the temple was beautiful, we were given holy bananas and we even got to chat with the man who was carving all the moulds for the ornate decorations all around the temple!)
And, of course, I couldn't leave Atlanta without a Thai themed party. I pulled out my photos, took a trip to the Decatur International Farmer's market, greased the wok and had a great time eating and visiting with everyone who could make it.
Tricia chats with Demond and Shaniece about joining Peace Corps.
Jeff, Robin and Tricia in the food line. Look at that spread!

Bernard goes for some curry.
It was a wonderful trip!!!

a break from the rain

2 comments:

Katy P said...

It was so good to see you!! The ATL has definitely missed you and was so happy to have you back, even for a short visit. Best of luck as you get ready to head off to school!

KateMV said...

Looks like a fantastic trip. Yummy food!