Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What a difference a day makes!



I woke up on my second day in St.Petersburg to a crisp clear day. What a change...and quite a welcome one at that! This beautiful day was May 1st, international day for workers/laborers.

Obviously, under the communist regime, this was a very significant day in Russia. According to a Russian lady I met, attendance at the celebrations for this day were mandatory. This year, there was not a big celebration scheduled in St.Petersburg (though apparently there was a significant one in Moscow). However, upon leaving my hostel and starting to walk down a sun-lit street, I happened upon a May 1st demonstration. To my surprise, this was a pro-communist demonstration. I had never really stopped to think that there would be people who were actually in favor of the communism that Russia had for so long. However, old, young, male and female alike were marching in this peaceful demonstration.

During my time watching, I was handed a anti-American/West pamphlet (in Russian, of course) as well as a ribbon commemorating Russia's victories in WWII. I later had friends translate some of the Russian for me to help in my understanding. Very interesting. There was also some anti-Estonian slogans due to the removal of a statue of a communist leader from Tallinn, Estonia (the capital). There had been riots in Tallinn for several days prior to this demonstration.

Here are some pics from the demonstration:




All of this anti-west/American energy....marching right past the......


hmmmm...ironic or proving a point.....
After the demonstration, I had a quick walk around St.Petersburg. I didn't have much time to go into see things, but I was able to enjoy the city more with better weather.
remember this?
modeled after St.Basil's in Moscow
the eternal flame
great day for an impromptu concert
(and great FUN!)
After my power walk around the city, I headed to the bus station to head to Estonia. (Tartu, not Tallinn...thank goodness). This is the castle/fortress on the Russian border with Estonia.

I got out with no problems. The customs guy was actually really very nice. On the bus, I sat with an Estonian and Brazilian (dating...interesting combination) and we had a great ride to Tartu.

Thus ends my Asian and trans-Siberian journey and begins my European one. But, more on that later.

No comments: