Tuesday, May 15, 2007

St.Petersburg in the Snow

Again it has been a while...sorry! :)

After Moscow, I took a night train to St.Petersburg. I was met at 5:00am by a beautiful dusting of snow (almost May!) The dark city was beautiful covered in a thin layer of white.


However, after catching a couple more hours of sleep, I was ready to set out exploring St.Petersburg....at this point I quickly learned that snow is not always such a nice pretty experience. Now, I had been told this by people who live in areas where it snows regularly, but I had never really believed them.

Ok, I am now a believer.

It was cold and wet and slapped me in the face all day long. However, I had only 1.5 days in St.Petersburg, so I had to make the best of it. I pushed my way through the freezing, damp wind and tried to enjoy the city as much as possible. Unfortunately, it was also Monday, so all the museums were also closed. This was a bummer not only because I wanted to see the museums, but also because I couldn't get inside and out of the cold. None the less, I persevered and appreciated what I could through the chill. Here are some pictures of the day:


cute Russian ticket taker on the bus

some snow flakes on my Mongolian Camel hair gloves
the (wintry) winter palace
one tough bird
approaching the Peter and Paul fortress
the Peter and Paul Fortress
(the oldest building in the city)
inside the cathedral
(and it was warm...ahhhh)
ice cold coke, anyone?
along a canal
love those golden onion domes

a cold fountain in the snowy park


a park worker


It's a cold day for a stroll

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't forget meeting some interesting people in the Hostel that night too! By the way, you're blogspot is amazing and I appreciate that you noticed the demonstrations marching past McDonald's (and the KFC and Pizza Hut too. Thanks for all the good advice you gave me about the Peace Corps and stay in touch! Facebook me?

-Keith Conroy