Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Goodbye Party #2

Tuesday night, Wat Prachanimit school hosted my Goodbye party number two. The first one was also at this school - last week's assembly with the students. This time, it was a "thank you" and "farewell" from the teachers. The theme was "Friendship Beyond Frontier" - which they came up with themselves (very impressive!)


When I arrived, the tables were set with the usual party set up.


Dinner included about 8 courses starting with nibbles (cashews and chips), going through fried pork, fried rice, soups, steamed sea food, a whole fish and ending with sticky rice and dried fruit. We were stuffed.



While we ate, the school band played. I have been somewhat of a "groupie" for the band, so it was really meaningful to me that they came to the party to perform.


We took a picture together.


In the middle of the party, the teachers performed the traditional Isaan (NE region of Thailand) ceremony for good luck and blessing. This ceremony is often performed to bid people welcome or farewell.



This is the center point of the ceremony. It is made by hand from banana leaves and flowers. The strings are soaked in jasmine water for fragrance and good luck.



Each person removes one string from the display and ties it around the arm of the person being honored. As they tie the string they offer prayers and good wishes for that person. My blessings included some for good heath, good luck and good money! They also each reminded me not to forget them! :)



It was very nice to touch base with each person who came to the party. This is my co-teacher Wasana - one of my closest friends here.



After the string ceremony, each department (and some individuals) offered me a gift. At first I was not very excited about being given anything more prior to my packing and departure, but most people gave me beautiful traditional Thai silks and cottons. The principal and his wife were so sweet, giving me a gift from them and from the school. They called me their daughter and promised to miss me!



The English department had shirts made with our caricatures on the back. I don't think it really looks like us, but it's fun all the same. The front of the shirt says Thailand (heart) America. We're friends! So cute! Their gift to me was the picture from our shirt framed.


The picture is the "five angels" - like Charlie's Angels, so we had to have a pose as well.



And of course, no Thai party is complete with out karaoke and dancing (to the karaoke of course). There were no English Karaoke songs (unusual) so I listened and danced. Honestly, I didn't mind NOT being pushed to the mike. Usually the only songs to be found are ones I've never heard of. (Though I've learned a great version of "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Take me to your heart"!)

1 comment:

KateMV said...

That looks like a really nice party. The sign is impressive! It seems to be a little more focused on YOU than some of the ones we've had...

We're almost there!