Friday, February 23, 2007

Meanwhile, Back on the Ranch

At last, I have returned home to my town in Korat. I was away a total of three weeks and it was about time to be getting back!


Kannika, one of the English teachers at the school where I live, picked me up in a town close to mine, where I was dropped off by the bus. She bestowed on me the biggest hug I think I have ever received from a Thai person. I almost toppled over from the combination of the hug and my extremely large backpack!


More exciting, even, than this hug was my welcoming committee at my house. In my absence, Pumpkin, one of my cats lost a great deal of weight!




Before and After

Due, in part, to my lax parenting, I realised that I was yet again to become a grandmother. I was hoping for three.


Instead....


I got FIVE!
Toto (Swahili: child),
Bagheera (Hindi: leopard),
Comet,
Noir (French: black),
and Lukged (Thai: raisin)
(Left picture: Toto, Bagheera, Comet, Noir, Lukged)
(Right picture: Noir, Bagheera, Comet, Toto, Lukged)

They are so cute. Only one looks like the mother, Pumpkin, and I think there were probably two fathers (i.e. the 'milkman' was orange!). I'm not sure exactly when the kittens were born, but I don't think it was too long after I left. My guess is that they are a little more than two weeks old.

Other than this most welcome party, the party on my porch continues.



Study hall.... And infirmary

I took these pictures from inside my house within the time period of an hour - just to prove I am not making it up, that my porch is the most favorite spot for many of the students. I have asked them in an extreme variety of ways to find other places to "perch", but to no avail.... What a nice welcome!

Before coming to the office to write this, I had to drop off something at the hospital. I was greeted by many of the nurses that I know. Most expressed that they missed me in some way. One was the epitome of Thailand. She first walked by, said she hadn't seen me in a while and patted my stomach while telling my I'd gotten fat since last she saw me. Not five minutes later, she returned and expressed how much she'd been missing me - wouldn't I please come hang out with her upstairs for a while today since it had been so long. Ah - Thailand.

Laugh or cry.

I choose to laugh! (And hanging out with my new 'grandbabies'!)

2 comments:

Katie V said...

Ah! More kittens! How adorable :)

KateMV said...

Sounds like a very Thai welcome! Glad to have you back. See you in three weeks!